Friday, March 4, 2011

Ta Da

Along the way, I somehow forgot what it feels like to
accomplish something huge and then tell people about it.
You get to enjoy the warmth that washes over you
as others impart words of grace as they lift you up.

I put the last stitch into my 90" X 108" queen size
whole cloth quilt last night at 5:22 pm, March 3, 2011.
Completely hand quilted, cream on cream, stitch by 375 plus
hours of stitching.

This particular piece of art ( I was told to stop calling it a craft
and to use the actual word art) began in February 1993,
Kaiserslautern, German. I purchased the fabric and batting in
Lawton, Oklahoma the year before. I was stock piling supplies
to use while we were living in Europe.

When I took needle and thread to that piece of cotton we were
about to celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary. In eight days we will
celebrate again, this time our 29th year.

I received the most lovely messages. I was gently reminded
as a runner talks of her first marathon or a rock climber
shares the details of that very first mountain accent, or a
golfer gets a license plate to announce to all, that
the elusive hole in one has been captured......
as a quilter, I will forever more be able to tell of my
accomplishment.

I told my very skilled quilter friend who lives in Alaska. She was there when I
started the monster quilt in Germany. I needed to share
that moment with her. It was the right thing to do.

I told my husband. I told my kids. Son number one,
in his humorous way of handling incredible life's moments,
said , sounds like a nice one. When you pass away, we won't
sell that one in the yard sale, we will use it as a special
dog blanket! urgh. As he was leaving our home last night,
we said our goodbyes, had kissed the grandgirlie numerous times,
he turned back and said, congratulations, good job on the quilt.

Somehow I had forgotten what it felt like to receive a
"congratulations, quite an accomplishment" from a couple of
peers. Your stomach takes a jump, and you get a lump in your
throat, you somehow feel a bit shy. Words of kindness and
grace came from fellow quilters that I value and appreciate their
skill. Sort of like that "Pretty Woman" movie moment, when the
older gentleman tells Richard Gere, "I'm proud of you".

"We are at our very best, and we are happiest, when we are fully
engaged in work we enjoy on the journey toward the goal we've established for ourselves. It gives meaning to our time off and
comfort to our sleep. It makes everything else
in life so wonderful, so worthwhile."

When I came into the kitchen this morning, Mr. Right had left
a St. Patty's day surprise of socks and green M & M's. As of late,
he has been buried up to his neck at work. It was delightful, simply
sweet to stumble upon my own little celebration party!

You square your shoulders. You stand up straighter. You set a goal.
Albeit, 18 years ago, you kept at it, you never quit. Today, you get
to dip your toes in the pool of accomplishment.

"Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself."

At least for a day or two, I feel this incredible need to relish this moment.
I need to let the kind words of family, friends and peers wash over me
and smooth out some rough edges of my heart and soul.

"Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live."

I am living today bathed in grace.

2 comments:

Jan said...

If you wrote a book, I would read it.....
Thanks for sharing;)

Jan said...

If you wrote a book, I would read it.....
Thanks for sharing;)