Wednesday, March 23, 2011

remembering our toasters of years past

As I type this morning, I am enjoying a piece of toast. Dave's Killer Bread makes really good nutty, seedy, wholesome toast. My piece is slathered in freshly ground Almond Butter. There are little seeds of goodness that fell off my toast and landed on my breakfast plate. A cheerful yellow and blue bread plate sitting atop a gorgeous yellow and blue floral place mat.

All seems good and happy sprinkled with Spring time happiness, until you learn the story behind said piece of toast.

Buckle up, here we go...................

The toaster broke this morning. Yep, the thingie that makes the handle stay in the down position gave up the ghost. I was determined to eat toast, now it was a quest. I got out the cookie sheet and covered her with parchment paper and buttered my toast (made an extra piece for the dog). Popped it into the oven and yippee, magically I got toast. I love the smell of nutty goodness.

Problem solved and we move on. Not quite so fast sister! I want to vent. I want to know why my grandparents toaster that is well over 60 years old is still working at my mother's home? It still has the same huge black, ugly "fabric" cord and plug in. You still need to use, with all your might, two hands to unplug the darn thing.

Years ago, when we visited my Aunt Bernice on her Apple Orchard in Eastern Washington, she made toast every morning. You put the bread slice in this wire square cage thingie. It had a long handle and she put in the wood burning stove and magically it came out looking, tasting and smelling like toast. Yeah! (by the way, she was the same Great Aunt that popped pop corn with no lid and we laughed and laughed and laughed). My mother was not pleased as it was very unladylike behavior. Secretly, made it all the more delightful.

We have been buying toasters all our married life. Hey, come to think of it, we never received a toaster as a wedding present. So for 29 years we have bought, broken, researched, paid, paid, paid for many a toasters. We have had four slicers, large opening toasters, save energy toasters, very expensive toasters and extremely cheap toasters. We have had red, white and even a black toaster and of course shiny chrome looking toasters. One time, we had a brand spanking new toaster and (I won't name names) someone (who happened to be around the age of 7 at the time) placed a plastic bread sack over the toaster and it melted beautifully over the brand new appliance. For the life of the toaster, I was never able to remove said "art" project. While living in Europe, our electricity was not quite 110. So after a couple of months, poof, another funeral for yet another toaster. For a couple of years there, while scrapbooking/ card making, someone, well me, might have used the toaster to heat up glitter to emboss a card or two. Our toaster had silver and gold glitter all over the top. It was another work of "art". Once while helping a friend at her yard sale, son #2, put bread in a toaster and made toast, then brought it out to sell in the yard sale. Everyone thought he was super smart and a great salesman. Funny yes, sell the toaster for $5.00, no.

Today's showcased toaster was purchased for $14.00. We just got plum tired of paying lots of money for yet another "funny" story.

Sweet Liberty enjoyed her toast today, as well as I did.

Tomorrow after I drop off Mr. Right at the airport, first on my "to do" list will be purchase a new toaster. I want to buy a happy yellow toaster with polka dots. Don't worry, I won't tire of my choice. It will be gone before you know it.

No comments: