Friday, March 25, 2011

a refresher lesson for me

Years ago, when moving back to America from a tour in Europe I had to wait 5 or 6 weeks to get my washer and dryer delivered. It had been in storage in Lawton, Oklahoma. Two teenagers and a husband who either ran 10 miles daily or biked 24, I was in need of a washer & dryer.

So, I piled all the clothes into the van and drove to the local laundromat. It was a little uncomfortable for me. Not the cleanest of places and I felt totally out of my comfort zone. I really, really wanted to tell every person in that place, that I really did have a washer and dryer. It was being delivered. After that day, I started driving on to post. It was a 25 minute drive. However, as any Army wife will tell you, everyone from the Generals' wife down to the lowest privates' wife, has been in between moves, waiting for something to be delivered and has a story. Boy, do they have stories and by golly they will share their stories while waiting at the laundromat.

Every once in a while, I grab my purse and hop in the car and dash over to the grocery store to pick up that all important lemon or red onion. As I am half way there, I realize that I have forgotten to put on my wedding rings. I get all fussy and while shopping I want to tell everyone that YES, I am married, I am in a hurry and I forgot to put my pretty rings on.

So this morning between 3-6:30 am as I lay awake with my blood pressure rising and my frustration reaching an all time high, I thought to myself.......this is the first time in my married life that I am not proud of some of the people my husband works with. I do not respect people that bully others or even people that stand and watch as other people crumble and loose their balance. Co-workers that don't have each other's backs. It is wrong. It hurts my feelings to watch this all unfold.

After sitting in the sun for 45 minutes and regrouping..I am starting to feel like I came up with an answer. I don't want to be the kind of person that puts on "airs". I am not better than someone who doesn't have a washing machine. I am not a better person because I have pretty sparkling rings. I don't want people to judge how I run my business, so I am thinking that by me judging others business ways is not overly polite. Even if I am doing it in my own head.

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect."

It became crystal clear that I don't like people being rude to my husband. I don't like the bullying tactics. I don't like the way some people choose to be so unkind and so thoughtless. I have little if no respect for people that stomp on others.

There is a lot to say about consideration.

For me, I will review my behavior and regroup and continue to treat my husband with respect and kindness. He is a man of character. I am lucky to have him in my life. My life is better because he somehow makes me be a better person.

From today on, I will try not to give too much time or energy or thoughts to other folks bad behavior. It is a real waste of my time.

Surround yourself with mankind at it's best.

No comments: