Friday, June 10, 2011

laundry stains

I used my little trusty, handy, dandy laundry brush this morning.
I was scrubbing the seat of a pair of cream colored pants. Mine. Pretty shocking right? While Mr. Right was mowing the back yard, Sweet Liberty and I were rough housing and sitting on the ground playing tug. Pretty much goofing off and my guess is annoying the person actually working while we were not.

Oh my goodness, I can't remember the last time I had to scrub grass stains off of pants, jeans, shirts,a variety of sports uniforms, shoes etc. Guess it was when two "embracing life with gusto" boys lived here.

Here in Washington state every stain is pretty much mud or green grass. When living in Oklahoma every thing was red. Red dirt + boys = Trouble. Now, that my friend, put to the test every laundry trick this Mom had in her brain.

Tar on the beach sand in Texas found it's way into and all over hand cross stitched (what on earth was I thinking?) sweatshirts that each boy was wearing. Oh that was the same trip, I had to clean bird droppings off the shoulder of Mr. Right's shirt. We decided to have a special breakfast on the beach one morning. Yep, the boys could not stop belly laughing...........and still do. I must say I did pretty good removing that stain. Hotel sink, little mini, mini bar of soap and elbow grease. It really didn't matter. For the next few months, the boys would crack up laughing when their Dad wore that shirt. Clean or not it brought FITS of laughter.

With a husband who always, always carried a pen in his military uniform and one boy who doodled and drew constantly......every once in a while a pen or colored marker got by me. oops. Oh and let's just make a small comment about the blood. Lots and lots of blood. Scraps, tumbles, cuts, scratches, falls....goodness gracious I guess having a family that, again, "embraces life with gusto" blood was bound to happen. I got super good in the laundry room. I worked miricles in there. I even amazed myself sometimes. Oh, it was most likely a toxic combination of this and that.

Now in a sad and quiet way, the laundry room is calm. Homemade, natural, non toxic laundry soap, dryer static cling pieces of fabric from Canada instead of toxic dryer sheets. Nothing really dramatic happens in there. Oh sure a drop of soup or melted ice cream once in a while. easy peasy.

The other day, I did happen to hear a sweet daughter in law tell an adorable grandgirlie...."this is your third outfit today! I swear it is your mission to fill the laundry basket".

Now that my friends, made me smile.

No comments: