Wednesday, December 8, 2010

the negative rant for the season

Honestly, I have 34 minutes to rant. That is all that I am giving myself...that and the fact that is how many minutes left on the hair dying timer! ha

A little dye, a few highlights and I will be right as rain. Also ready for upcoming vacation. Want to look my best for Mr. Rights's birthday.

Okay, yesterday, I did lots of errands and quick stops. 16 stores and 2 post offices. I held the door for anyone I encountered. I let merging cars into my lane. I don't use the car too often for all day errands especially this time of year. I had on a jaunty lime green scarf with a perky attitude to match. I was determined to make it a holiday spirit filled day. Even around lunch time, I came home had lunch, something to drink, regrouped, reorganized, unloaded packages, wrapped, tagged and hid said packages and chatted with the dog.
I felt rejuvenated not grouchy. Back I went out into the crowds.

Here is my issue (for today) ...all the stores and shops and yes even our United States post offices are decorated for "the" season. Christmas trees, windows painted, lights twinkling,music and more music, even a couple of manger scenes....you get the idea. Shop keepers and cashiers are wearing light up earrings and necklaces (yikes) and red scarves and pins and colorful plastic bracelets, yes, even the amazing Christmas tie was spotted yesterday. I saw a couple of Santa hats, one had a curly Que coming out of the top. All very jolly and festive. A popular coffee establishment was decorated and offering up seasonal drinks and the display case was bulging with holiday treats.

Seems as though every shop and every one was in the holiday mood. After each transaction, I said Merry Christmas! Then again and again and again.....before I continue, let me say one Safeway courtesy clerk (I just learned that is their official title), a nice gal who bagged up my groceries, whispered back to me Merry Christmas. Also, one fellow shopper around ten in the morning whom I held the door for, replied Merry Christmas to my greeting. As for the rest well....................

I got a few "same to ya". I heard yes, thank you. I heard thank you. I heard you are welcome? I heard "unhuh". NOT one of the clerks responded with Merry Christmas.

When did the kind and friendly holiday greeting to another human being become off limits?

A couple of days ago someone said Happy Hanukkah to me and I responded by saying Happy Hanukkah! When we lived in Germany, and someone would say guter Tag, I would respond in kind. Same when we have traveled to Quebec or France. When they spoke a hello, bonjour, we responded bonjour.

To wrap my brain around this....shops and stores and business all WANT our holiday dollars, however, they are afraid to answer a simple Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah in return.

Here is the grace part of my rant/lesson. I am going to continue to be who I am. I am still going to say Merry Christmas. Honestly, I do wish them a Merry Christmas. I will be the same friendly and gracious customer I aim to be. How they react is their choice. I will say, that I did call the manager at Safeway and told him thank you. I appreciated the Merry Christmas greeting from the courtesy clerk. I told him I would be back and shop there again. He knows how I feel and will understand when he counts his money each time I frequent his store.

As for the others, I wish them a sincere Merry Christmas and will leave it at that.

Sometimes, Grace has a quiet touch.

ps. still in search of the single green highlighter for a stocking stuffer. No thanks, I don't want the entire package. I will find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hosted my Christmas Party at my guild yesterday, I said Merry Christmas at least 100 times, not too many replied in kind. I too am miffed people cannot respond the same way. I too will go on Merry Christmasing everyone I see, you see it is the Reason for the Season and I won't let anyone forget. In Christ, Fran