Thursday, December 30, 2010

garlic

Mr. Right and I have this obsession with garlic. We just can't seem to get enough.

I opened a brand new garlic press as one of my Christmas gifts. It feels good just to hold it. It fits. It is heavy duty and sleek and just begging for a clove to be pressed through. Pressed so intensely that the juice of the clove drips out as well as the "meat".

One of my favoritest (yes, that is a word) people in the whole world gave it to me. That would be my dear sister in law. On the way to church Christmas eve, Mr. Right and I were listing the names of people in our lives that were really nice & sweet & kind people. Her name was in the top three category. She is the real deal. She is full of a kind gracious spirit. One of those people you wish you could hang out with all the time. Her humor is a delight and she is really sincerely a nice person. One time years ago, we wrote a cook book together. The title was "Chance made us sisters, Hearts made us friends". I am not a super tear up person, however even typing that makes me smile and get a little blurry eyed. Oh yeah, I was writing about garlic.

Back to garlic, we purchase 4-6 heads a month. We purchase a 1/2 pound container of peeled garlic a month. I use it in everything from a clove daily in our freshly made juice to the broth we give our dog daily. We roast it and smear it on bread. We make soup and use it in sauces and of course Risotto. I caramelize it with mushrooms and onions. I use it generously on our bbq "chicken" garlic pizza, with garlic white sauce, oh yum. I use it in almost all of our appetizer recipes. Okay, what would hummus be without lots and lots of garlic...just plain, just bland, just blah...... Oh my, we
use garlic powder and even garlic salt. We have purchased dehydrated garlic and used that. We (as in the ones who almost never buy gift certificates as gifts) bought a certificate and gave to son number two and sweetie to have dinner in LA at a place called "The Stinking Rose". Everything garlic! From the alcoholic drinks to the end of the meal in the ice cream.

I guess you could really sum up by saying we are indeed a garlic family. Heck, you know for sure we are having some form or another for our dinner tonight. That pizza is sounding mighty good.

So next year when you are scratching your head as to what to buy someone, just think about my marvelous new Pampered Chef heavy duty garlic press. Think just how much joy you will be spreading?

You gotta know that every time I use that press, I will of course think just how lucky I am to have it and to have the best sister in law in the whole wide world.

I feel bathed in grace because of how fortunate I am to have her in my life.
I am indeed a lucky girl.

No comments: