Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cheddar Spread.....Spread some Cheer!

The state was Oklahoma, the people are FRIENDLY. I learn everything you ever wanted to know about hospitality from the good folks in Oklahoma. We lived there about four years. We were invited, invited and invited all over again. People gathered for any reason, however "the" season to gather was the holidays.

Okay, our calendar dates were filled a month or two before. We even were lucky enough to be included in a couple parties on one day. I learned the first year, I had to get creative and inventive for hostess gifts, those babies could get expensive.

So, round about August, I started saving jars. Yep, pickle jars and mustard jars and jelly jars...every time someone emptied a jar, I yelled "SAVE THE JAR"!. I cleaned them and removed the labels and stored them in a big box.

I started buying boxes of fancy schmancy crackers sometime in early November. Oh yes, I used coupons and watched for sales.

Now, hello late November & here we go..............this is the remarkable goodness that I filled all those little jars and big jars and medium jars with:

Cheddar Spread

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 - 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sherry
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients until well blended using your mixer. Transfer to all your jars. Seal them with their air tight lids. Keep in the refrigerator.

Each time we were headed out to a party or gathering we took a box of crackers, grabbed a jar of Cheddar Spread. Each year I chose a different ribbon. Some years it was plaid, some years a rich, deep barn velvet red. Then I clipped a piece of evergreen to put under the bow on the jar. I had already made up a dozen or so tags, hand stamped. We were in business.

I have shared the recipe over & over & over. It makes for a really thoughtful gift for a neighbor or a quilt friend. It is just lovely to have a dozen or so ready to go in your refrigerator. You will not be sorry you planned ahead. Hopefully you saved one out to use just for you & your family.

Buckle up kids, the holiday season is upon us and everything is going to be just fine and dandy.

Spread some Cheer, give Cheddar Spread this year!

That which cometh from the heart will go to the heart.

1 comment:

Jan said...

"Spread some Cheer, give Cheddar Spread this year!"
Too cute:)

Thanks for sharing that, I've used your cheese ball recipe so many times (successfully I might add) that it will be nice to have a new gifty treat to try.