Monday, June 21, 2010

a favor, please & thank you

If I forget to say it later, thank you for helping us.


I looked at the clock this morning and it read 4:18 am. Yup,
me, a very NON morning person. I just couldn't calm my mind.

The storm in Minnesota, friends family homestead and farm buildings
had been whisked away in a tornado. Everything is a total loss.

Money cannot solve this catastrophe. Insurance will pay to
rebuild. Insurance money will buy a new washer and dryer.
Well, I should say, insurance money will buy the wood to build
a new house to put the washer and dryer in. Insurance will buy the
clothes to wash and dry in said new appliances.

As I embroidered a kitchen towel, I was thinking and praying and
thinking and praying. I was trying to figure out what I could do.

People don't need things to carry on.............. people need to know
that there are others that care about them, lifting them up.

Here is a part of the e-mail that our friend sent to Mr. Right this morning:

"We had people just show up to help clean up, a volunteer firefighter, with wife, 2 kids, father and mother came with a big truck and dump trailer at 10 in the morning and stayed until 7 at night.People drove up in the trucks, had sandwiches, chips, coffee, soda and water and drove from house to house.People were just amazing.'

I am working on hand stitching a couple of kitchen towels.
I am also writing out by hand a few of my favorite family recipes. I will be
putting them on colorful 8 1/2 X 11" paper. I am putting together a colorful binder
with hand written recipes from us and different special friends. I want it to be a
keepsake to help, somehow help tell them they are prayed for and thought of.

I thought about what I would appreciate. I think loosing all my saved favorite recipes from friends would be top of the list. Sure I love collecting recipes and cook books. However, there is something unique and special and from the heart when I see a friend's hand writing. I love the hearts to "dot the i's" the smiley faces drawn near the word "butter" I love the personal comments. In my friends own hand.

I know that insurance money will replace kitchen towels. I have this feeling that would be near the bottom of my list of things to dwell on. Just grab a 10 pack and check that off the list.

I am asking (if you wish) to please share with me a couple (or more) of hand written recipes and/or a kitchen towel or two. I promise to put them together with care and creativity. I will take pictures of the box and we will of course pay for the postage. I just think if I send this out to a few friends you will come through for me with a recipe or two. If you wouldn't mind please share with your friend or two and ask them for a hand wirtten recipe. Please feel free to share this request. We would highly appreicate the help.

I am setting a target date of July 19th, 2010. That will give me a couple of days to put it all together and mail it out by the following Monday.

Yes, I know it won't "fix" anything. Yes, I know we are all busy and have no time to write out a recipe.

I just have the feeling that if I lost everything, and a unexpected box
of prayers, recipes and kitchen towels was given to me.............. Faith in Action..... seems fitting.

Thank you for considering this request. We really appreciate it.
I would openly appreciate any and all thoughts/suggestions as well.

Grace and Peace,
Mr. Right and Mrs. 1950's housewife

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Dear Mrs. 1950's housewife,
We will be happy to work on this as a project. Thanks for sharing this with us!!! :)