Tuesday, May 25, 2010

and I thought blue plaid ribbon was wild

I love tennis. I have loved it since I was about 11 or 12.
I loved to play. My favorite dates were almost always a tennis match.
It was a "deal maker" when I found out that husband to be played tennis.
I taught both boys, before they took "real" lessons.
I remember the first time I watched it on television on clay courts.
As an adult I listened with total interest about the trip our friends went on
to watch at Wimbledon. It is still thrilling for me to watch a match here and
there. I love seeing little kids learn the game. Yup, it is a game folks.

My mother (well you are all familiar with my type of mother), would not let me play unless I wore
white shorts and a white top with sleeves or a white dress with matching white panty covers. They were really just small shorts. I had to wear the proper attire even just to ride my bike to some courts to just play for fun or practice. She played the blackmail card, you either wear the proper clothes or you don't play. It was an easy choice for me.

I had what I liked to call my lucky tennis shorts. Actually, they just had great big pockets to tuck in an extra ball or two. LOVED those shorts. Heck, once I learned to sew I even sewed my own outfits.
Yup, I was a rebel and I sewed little pieces of pink ribbon on one dress hem. Oh and yes, I even was a wild & crazy girl and sewed white lace on the white under garment that covered my panties (white of course). Once I even went insane and sewed on a blue (that is the color boys wore) plaid ribbon on one of my outfits.

Where am I going with this you ask? Two words; Venus Williams. Yikes. First, I can only imagine what my mother would say. Now that makes me laugh, belly laugh. We all know my mother is about 5'1" tall and leans towards the Nancy Reagan look and attitude. So to imagine her going toe to toe with a 6'1" athletic gal such as Venus is just silly. Anyhoo......

Like I said, I love tennis. I love the tradition that surrounds the game.

I am pretty sure you can guess how I feel about Venus Williams' outfit that she wore to the French Open. Personally, I would rather focus on the game. Secretly, on the other hand, maybe if I looked like her and played like her....maybe just maybe..........

No comments: